Thanks for another wonderful MIRcon®, everyone! It's been an honor to bring together so many leading minds in cybersecurity, and to foster conversations about what we can all do to safeguard the information and innovationson which so much of us rely on. The second and final day of MIRcon 2013 featured many great discussions, including these highlights:
- A keynote from General Michael Hayden, addressing the current cybersecurity threat landscape and promising developments in technology and policy
- A technical-track discussion led by Nick Pelletier on using the oft-unused scripting functionality of Wireshark Network Protocol Analyzer to aid network traffic analysis
- A management-track discussion on the challenges and gray areas of Digital Security Policy with Kristen Verderame of Pondera International, Stewart Baker of Steptoe & Johnson LLP, Tom Corcoran, professional staff member of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, and Josh Alexander, professional staff member of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, Paul Rosenzweig of Red Branch Consulting
- A management-track discussion with Wade Woolwine on maximizing return - and avoiding common pitfalls - with managed security service providers (MSSPs)
- Jason Wood from Secure Ideas, speaking on using ModSecurity to analyze Web app Attacks
- A management-track talk from Lhadon Tethong of Tibet Action Institute on defending against state-sponsored attacks, and the approaches they take to protect the Tibetan community and their computer networks from China-based attacks
- Daniel Beck and Peter Smith's technical-track discussion, Walking the Wire - best practices for a robust, balanced network of defenses
- Rohyt Belani's management-track discussion on training and leveraging employees so that they become security assets
- Liam Randall of Broala, who presented on our technical-track about using the Bro Platform to analyze, understand and secure embedded and ICS networks
- A discussion with Fernando Mejía and Dr. Eleazar Aguirre Anaya of the Instituto Politécnico Nacional, with a technical-track presentation on security incident handling on mobile devices
- Our annual discussion with Lisa Branco of CEB and Jake Sommer of ZwillGen PLLC on legal issues and obligations for those in the incident detection and response field
To read highlights from the first day of MIRcon, click here.
If you'd like to add your name to sign up for news on MIRcon 2014, you can do that here: www.mandiant.com/mircon. Look for a more in-depth summary of MIRcon next week and thoughts on the conference from a few of our speakers. Until next year!